Otters land Under-13 plate at home of Exeter City
- Credit: Archant
Ottery St Mary Under-13s won the Exeter and District Youth League Plate final at St James Park, Exeter.
The final, against Seaton Town, proved to be a compelling affair with the Otters emerging victorious by the odd goal in five.
The youngsters, as the first of a full day of finals at the home of Exeter City, were afforded the honour of being able to use the home dressing room! They had a pre-match warm-up on the hallowed turf, watched by a large number of family and friends in the stands.
The opening exchanges saw the Otters take charge, winning a number of early corners. The opening goal was created by Conor Macnamara who weaved his way past a couple of Seaton players before picking out Robin Allen who rifled a low shot into the net.
Sam Pyne doubled the lead with a right footed drive, but Seaton got back into the contest when a shot from the right was deflected into the net off an Otters defender! That was how it stood at half-time and the early second half action was of the end-to-end nature with both goalkeepers making terrific stops.
You may also want to watch:
The Ottery back line of Joe Hollox, Aidan Pearcy, Joseph Green and Alex Davies did very well whilst gloves man Jack Dallyn proved to be in top form.
At the other end of the pitch Max Hoper cut across his marker to fire home and give the Otters a 3-1 lead.
- 1 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 2 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 3 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 4 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 5 Fundraising heroine Diana is sitting pretty at 98
- 6 Hotels are reopening soon - lets hope they can stay that way
- 7 The return of Covid to the streets of Sidmouth, and what St George did next!
- 8 Art shop thanks customers who have shown support
- 9 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 10 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
Seaton did everything they could to force their way back into the match, but they found the Otters midfield trio of Cameron Kidd, Callum Crow and Luke Bowler working tirelessly in midfield to reduce their chances of building pressure on the Otters goal. They did breach the defence once more, but that was to be the last goal of the game as Ottery saw it out in style to lift the Plate trophy on a memorable day for all concerned with Ottery Under-13s.
Ottery St Mary Under-13 squad: Luke Bowler, Jack Dallyn, Aidan Pearcy, Callum Crow, Max Hooper, Sam Pyne, Alex Davies, Conor Mcnamara-Campbell, Joe Hollox, Joseph Green, Jack Tindal, Robin Allen, Toby Squance, Cameron Kidd, Harvey Bennet, John Maccourt.