Otters produce top performance

MATCH of the day in the latest round of East Devon Indoor Cricket League games was Ottery St Mary’s four-run win over Honiton.

Ottery were indebted to last wicket pair Alex Thurgate and Duncan Bradshaw-Smith who came together in the seventh over at 63-4 and were parted with two balls to go when the former presented R Foyez with a caught and bowled chance.

By then he had 42 to his name and Bradshaw-Smith got three off the remaining deliveries to push his score to 23 and his team’s to 125.

Honiton recovered from losing a wicket to the fifth ball of the innings over to reach 102-1 with three overs to go. Foyez, Rob Ingram and J Charlton all made the retirement score of 25.

Eleven were needed off the last over and a wicket off the second ball brought Foyez back to the crease. Lewis Biggs sent down two dot balls to swing the contest Ottery’s way and six off the final two deliveries saw Honiton up to 121-2.

You may also want to watch:

Clyst Hydon came within one run of breaking the 200 mark for an innings, reaching 199-5 against Newton Poppleford, Ian Sutton leading the way with 56 not out.

Chris Jelley was run out for 49 and Clint Holmes made 28 before becoming one of three batsmen caught by Kenny Clay.

Most Read

Shell-shocked by the Clyst Hydon barrage, Newton Poppleford replied with 59, J House unbeaten on 24 at the end.

Another match that went to the final over saw Yarcombe and Stockland beat Tipton St John by three wickets with two balls spare chasing 110.

Tipton’s total owed much to Dave Quick, who lost opening partner Dickie Dawson to the third delivery of the game before a run had been scored. He retired at 25 and came back to reach 30 not out, Steve Shaw chipping in 22 and Alex Tubbs 18.

It looked a challenging total with Yarcombe at 72-2 after nine overs and David Birch taking a wicket with the first ball of his third over. But it brought Ben Fuzzard back in and he hit sixes off the next three balls.

At the end of the over Yarcombe were up to 94-3.

Fuzzard reached 52 not out for a second retirement and Louis Bowen took over the mantle, returning after his retirement to reach 36 not out as he struck the winning runs.

Clyst Hydon II made 141-5 against Newton St Cyres, with four batsmen run out in the chase for runs.

Lewis Morgan was unbeaten on 32, Heffin Wood made 28 and Paul Garnham 21.

Newton St Cyres replied with 83, Mike Pearce 28 not out at the close.

Sidmouth got a flying start after dismissing Exmouth for 75 with 19 off Matt Tarry’s first over.

The dismissals in quick succession of openers Anthony Griffiths and Charlie Miles put a brake on matters.

Dan Powell, who had bowled his wrist spin well on his indoor debut for two wickets, was bowled for three and Exmouth began envisaging an unlikely victory.

James Tapper was on the brink of bowling a maiden over until Miles Dalton relieved the pressure with a six off the final ball.

From then on Sidmouth cruised in with two overs to spare. Dalton hit the winning runs to reach 25, with John Goodwin unbeaten on 20 at the other end.

For Exmouth, Richard Arnold top scored with 20 in a bright start to an innings that fell away and left Matt Tarry making 14 in a rearguard action before being run out on the final ball.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus