Ottery 2nd XI skipper: “Lots of positives from opening game”
- Credit: Archant
Ottery St Mary 2nd XI skipper Richard Jackson was pleased with his side’s efforts in the opening game of a new Tolchards Devon League season.
Ottery 2nds are now coming up against the 1st XIs of other clubs in the new all-through Devon League and, based on what he saw in the first game, away at one of the 1st XI teams – Sampford Peverell and Tiverton –Jackson said: “There are plenty of positives to take from the overall performance.
“We were not well prepared as, with all the wet weather it was something of a novelty playing on grass!
“Speaking with some of their [Sampford Peverell and Tiverton] players, I got the impression they fancy they are going to do well at this level this season and, if that is the case, then I don’t think we are going to find life a real struggle. Far from it, we have some good young players and there are more yet to get involved as the season develops.
“Of course, playing 1st XIs is going to present the occasional challenge, but it’s all good grounding for the younger players.”
You may also want to watch:
The 1st XIs that Ottery will face this year – in addition to Halberton and Sampford Peverell– are Honiton, Exwick, Kentisbeare, Woodbury and Newton St Cyres, Axminster and Topsham. The other 2nd XIs in the section are Bideford and also Thorverton.
On Saturday, Jackson leads his team in their first home game of the new season when they entertain Thorverton 2nds.
- 1 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 2 High Street beckons for hobbyists emerging from lockdown
- 3 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 4 SRC mighty six take on Sid Valley Ring half-marathon
- 5 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 6 College launches two new fundraising appeals
- 7 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 8 Mixed weekend for Sidmouth and Ottery Hockey
- 9 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 10 Rain ruins the cricketing weekend