Ottery 2nds slump to shock loss to basement side
- Credit: Archant
Ottery St Mary II became only the third team this season to lose to Ipplepen when they went down by a margin of 46 runs in a contest that saw the bat rule over the ball throughout.
The Otters went into the game with the basement side looking to bank a big haul of points to keep themselves in the hunt for promotion to the top flight of 2nd XI cricket next year.
However, Ipplepen, with just two wins all season before the game, won the game thanks to a third wicket partnerships between two of their senior players that saw them take the score from 30-2 to 210-3! The visitors’ eventually finished on 251-6 from their 45 overs.
Tom Jeacock was the pick of the bowlers taking 3-45 with all three of his wickets coming in his second spell. Thomas Hinch (1-33), Richard Reed (1-36) and Sam Brook (1-61) were the other wicket takers.
Ottery’s reply ran out of overs on 205-6, leaving them to a disappointing defeat.
You may also want to watch:
Harry Conway top scored with a 75-ball 10 boundary 71 and the best of the rest was a knock of 46 (67 balls with five fours) from Richard Jackson.
Young Tom Jeacock completed a fine all-round individual performance with an unbeaten 24. The defeat leaves Ottery fifth in the table, 31 points behind second placed Budleigh. This Saturday (August 20) the Otters travel to Alphington.
- 1 First time in a year for Sidmouth's rugby youngsters
- 2 Now is the time to shop locally says Sidmouth artist
- 3 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 4 Public help needed to find wild violets around East Devon
- 5 Sidmouth electric car club survey launched
- 6 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 7 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 8 Talking Newspapers set to restart service
- 9 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 10 A tussle for the ages at Ottery Bowls