Ottery A enjoy Over-60s League success against Marina A
- Credit: Archant
The Ottery St Mary bowls week started with another visit from West Midlands Police Bowls, writes Michael Smith.
Having sent five rinks two days previously, this time they came with four rinks and, on another fine day, reversed the previous result coming away with a 64-75 victory with the rinks being shared.
Ottery’s best rink was that of Dot Luff, Richard Bland, Tony Bushell and skip Dave Rose, winning 22-12.
In the LOFTL, Ottery managed a 36-30 success at home to Pinces Gardens with skip Shirley Fewtrell, Carol Keating and Jill White having a convincing 31-6 win.
In the Men’s Over-60s League, the A team got their first win of the season with a 35-25 victory over Marina A; Steve Hall, Dave Brown and skip John Pethick having the winning rink 24-8.
You may also want to watch:
The B team also enjoyed success with a 41-36 win at home to Culm Vale C; Graham Ward, Bryan Salter and skip Tony Panzeri having the winning rink by 24-17.
The D team couldn’t follow up their opening success, losing on both rinks away to Broadclyst.
- 1 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 2 High Street beckons for hobbyists emerging from lockdown
- 3 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 4 SRC mighty six take on Sid Valley Ring half-marathon
- 5 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 6 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 7 College launches two new fundraising appeals
- 8 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 9 Plans for restart of operations for Sidmouth Voluntary Services
- 10 Sidmouth Girls Rugby
In a friendly match at Tiverton Boro’, Ottery had a fine win by four rinks to one and an overall score of 80 shots to 76.
The best Ottery rink was the one of Margaret Panzeri, Tony Luff and skip Leighton Burston 19-11.Finally, Ottery played host to Cullompton in the first match in the East of Exe Mixed League. In a very close encounter with the rinks shared the visitors edged the match by just two shots, 59-57.
County competitions are now under way and I can report on two successes already with Tony Bushell and Kevin Vernon winning against T and A Dredge from Chardstock 23-14 in the Men’s Unbadged Pairs and Sharon Kenny and Mike Smith winning 24-7 against Martyn and Lynn Eveleigh from Madeira in the Mixed Pairs.
For all matters regarding Ottery St Mary Bowls Club, please visit the website at www.otterystmarybowlingclub.com or contact Mike Smith on 01404 811195.