Ottery’s Oliver West among the best batsmen in the county
- Credit: Archant
The Ottery St Mary batsman is ranked fifth across all Tolchards Devon Cricket League in terms of total runs scored this season.
Rather than a couple of big scores, West has racked up a sizeable total from a series of consistent performance.
In his seven games this season, he has a batting average of 47.86 and a strike rate of 86.13
His highest score this campaign came against Heathcoat where he scored an unbeaten 78. During that innings he found the boundary on 12 occasions, two of which were sixes.
West has scored a half century in three of his five league innings so far, only falling short on two occasions one of which was a 48-run knock.
You may also want to watch:
His lowest run total of the season came against Braunton when he was caught on 29.
West's runs have helped Ottery to three wins this campaign and they are fifth in the C Division East table.
- 1 Family trip to seaside ends in dramatic rescue from rip tide
- 2 Saved from the bin! Charity shop staff hunt for mistaken items
- 3 Sidmouth defeat Boringdon in national competition
- 4 'No further action' after 11 deaths at Sidford care home
- 5 Rugby youngsters finish season with five tries
- 6 Tim Martin of Wetherspoons wants government to offer visas to EU workers to help out in pubs
- 7 New youth project will help young people's voices to be heard
- 8 Old Fore Street pedestrian zone will be open for bicycles to use
- 9 Plans to pedestrianise Sidmouth town centre put forward
- 10 Communities encouraged to apply for rural building funds
They face a local derby this weekend against second placed Sidmouth 2nds.
A strong performance from West could only help push his team up the table but he could also move up the batting leaderboard. Currently, he is just 12 runs behind fourth placed Bradninch's Gary Chappell and 25 runs behind Clyst St George's Sam Read.
Sidmouth's first team have two batsmen making up the top 10 of total runs scored. Nick Gingell on 293 and Nick Mansfield on 292 occupy the 9th and 10th spot respectively.