Ottery bid for top five place
Ottery FC boss shows confidence in players
OTTERY ST Mary FC bounced back after their two heavy defeats to beat Exeter Civil Service 2-1 - and former Ottery manager Jason Rees, now player/manager at Civil Service, got himself sent off in the process.
They are now eighth in the Peninsula league, but manager Dane Bunney will be happier when they can put a string of results together and be in the top five.
He said: “It wasn’t a bad result against ECS and, to be fair, with the holidays, injuries and suspensions we had at the time we had no right to expect anything from the two matches we got beaten in. But we have a big squad available now and it showed on Saturday.”
Ottery had the greater possession in the first half with ECS not really threatening the Otters’ keeper. They did have a goal disallowed, but it went straight in the net from a throw in. Ottery defended well and had more corners.
You may also want to watch:
After the break Simon Parnell put the Otters 1-0 up and for the following 10 or 15 minutes, Ottery should really have scored more goals. As it was they let the chances slip and then weathered a 10 minute spell of pressure from the home side. They scored, Rees was sent off shortly afterwards.
“He embarrassed himself really, I was embarrassed for him,” Bunney said.
- 1 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 2 Lottery funding for fishermen's shed project
- 3 Friends of the Byes are helping to to save life on earth starting with a bramble bank
- 4 Dom Bess representing Sidmouth in Sri Lanka
- 5 Safety, security and sustainability at Sidmouth Town
- 6 Sid Vale Association marks its 175th anniversary
- 7 Tipton St John children's author wins national award for pioneering work
- 8 Stalker jailed and banned from Ottery St Mary
- 9 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
- 10 Sidmouth vaccinations are off to a good start
Ottery withstood the pressure and went ahead again with a goal from Shane Warrey.
This Saturday, they play Budleigh Salterton in the Throgmorton Cup.