Ottery bowler Mike Smith wins his Devon County Badge
- Credit: Archant
In a recent friendly at home to Exonia, Ottery St Mary took the match honours by three rinks to one and by an overall shot score of 72-64.
The top Ottery rink was the one of Lynn Snow, Eric Richardson, Ray Luscombe and skip Fred Dart, who won 22-11.
Ottery ladies had a good win at home to Sidmouth Yellow by 36 shots to 24; the winning Ottery rink was that of Dot Luff, Sharon Kenny and skip Margaret Bright, who won 23-8. Meanwhile, in the men’s Over-60s League, the Ottery A team enjoyed an excellent seven point win over near-neighbours Feniton with the winning rink being the one of Tony Luff, Peter Jones and skip Terry House, 24-13.
The B team were also in action and they went down 26-33 at home to Tiverton West End C, this despite a 17-13 success for the rink of Tony Bushell, Ron Cook and skip Ray Luscombe.
The battle for top spot in Division Eight between Ottery C and Ottery D intensified as both bagged six-point wins in their latest matches.
You may also want to watch:
The C team were 32-30 winners over Sidmouth D with the winning rink being the one of George Hutchinson, Clive Russell and skip Norman Lawrence, who secured a 20-7 success.
The D team travelled to Wellington C and came away with a 42-35 victory; the winning rink was Maurice Flower, Clive Gibbs and skip John Ward, 22-12.
- 1 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 2 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 3 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 4 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 5 Initial details revealed for this year's week-long Folk Festival
- 6 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 7 Festival will bring a much-needed boost to the town
- 8 East Devon's new homes debate divides residents' opinions
- 9 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 10 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
It all means that the D team maintain their one shot advantage at the top of the division with the C team playing their ‘game in hand’ this week.
Finally, congratulations to Mike Smith, who was presented with his County Badge last week.
Mike played for Bowls Devon against Bowls Dorset and not only did Bowls Devon win the match by 110 shots to 103, but Mike was part of the ‘top rink’ who had a fine 28 shots to 10 victory. Huge thanks to fellow County Badged members Dave Brown, John Ward and Terry House, who skipped the winning rink.
As always, please visit the club’s website at www.otterystmarybowlingclub.com for all things Ottery.