Ottery bowlers enjoy Over-60s League success against Uffculme
- Credit: Archant
In the County Trophy, Madeira proved much too strong for Ottery taking all four rinks to win the match comprehensively, writes Michael Smith.
There was better news though, for the Ottery men’s A team in the Over-60s Triples League as they claimed their second success of the season and banked seven points froma meeting with Uffculme A.
The Otters won 22-9 on one rink John Ward, John Pethick and skip Terry House and drawing on the other rink.
The B team were also winners. They had a rearranged match away to St Thomas C where they won 36-29, winning on one rink, that being a 23-11 success for Tony Bushell, Norman Lawrence and skip Ray Luscombe.
However, the following day they fared less well, going down 42-23 at Madeira C, thouh they did win on one rink, that being a 17-12 success for John Mabbott, Dave Rose and skip Brian Baker.
You may also want to watch:
The C team are still looking for their first win after narrowly going down on both rinks away to Hemyock B.
The ladies had a terrific win in the LNBTL at home to Exonia, taking both rinks and the match by 48-18, the best Ottery rink was that of Fenella Griggs, Val Kille and skip Sharon Kenny, 21-4.
- 1 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 2 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 3 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 4 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 5 Photographic competition challenges snappers to spring into action
- 6 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 7 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 8 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 9 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 10 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
Ottery had a good win on all four rinks at home to Culm Vale in the EEML, the overall match score was 80-48, with the best rink being that of Carol Keating, John Mabbott, Brian Salter and skip Dave Brown winning 25-9.
Congratulations, to Mike Smith who had a successful run in the County 2 Woods competition, winning the section final against Mick Powell from Madeira 15-14, the match going to an extra end to decide the result.
Mike now progresses to the next stage of the competition where he will meet a finalist from another Devon Section.
Friday club nights continue to be very popular and all new players are welcomed to attend from 6pm.
As is always the case, all coaching and equipment will be provided and all any one needs to take along with them are flat shoes or trainers.
For more information on all things Ottery St Mary Bowls Club, please Mike Smith on 01404 811195.