Ottery bowlers in fine form as they defeat visiting St Thomas
- Credit: Archant
Barnwood, from the Gloucester area, was the first of two touring sides to visit Ottery in the past week, writes Michael Smith.
In what was a very entertaining match (each side won two rinks with one rink drawn), the visitors took the match with an overall score of 84 shots to 78.
The winning Ottery rinks were Jill White, Fred Dart, Andrew Evans and skip Richard Bland and Eric Richardson, Carol Bennett, Maureen Phillips and skip Frank Jones, who both won by seven shots.
Next to visit were Devon Presidents, who arrived with five rinks and claimed success on four of them to the one won by Ottery. The visitors won overall by 102 shots to 89, and the winning Ottery rink was that of Clive Russell, Maureen Phillips, Andrew Evans and skip Peter Jones, 32-12.
In a friendly at home to St Thomas, Ottery enjoyed a 63-55 success and by three rinks to one; the best rink was Melvyn Trayhurn, Jean Railton and skip Ray Luscombe, 21-6.
You may also want to watch:
There was more success for Ottery in a meeting with Starcross that was won by four rinks to one and overall by 82 shots to 73. This time the best rink was Moyra Griffin, Gerard McCarthy and skip Gail Hawke, 24-14.
The week ended with the touring team from the Isle of Wight visiting Ottery with an all men’s side who took the match 120-102 and by five rinks to one.
- 1 First time in a year for Sidmouth's rugby youngsters
- 2 Now is the time to shop locally says Sidmouth artist
- 3 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 4 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 5 Public help needed to find wild violets around East Devon
- 6 Sidmouth electric car club survey launched
- 7 Talking Newspapers set to restart service
- 8 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 9 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 10 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
The winning Ottery rink was that of Graham White, Clive Russell, Andrew Evans and skip Ray Luscombe, 23-12.
This weekend sees the summer season drawing to a close with the Final Drive on Sunday (September 16). Reports on this and the last few fixtures of the season will be in next week’s Ottery Herald.