Ottery bowlers pick up their season’s winnings
- Credit: Archant
Last weekend, Ottery St Mary Bowling Club celebrated the end of the 2017 summer season with its annual presentation dinner held at The Tumbling Weir Hotel in Ottery, writes Michael Smith.
Over 50 members attended the event and once again were treated to a fine meal and service by the staff of the hotel to whom we extend our many thanks for a great evening.
Club captain Terri Ward did a fine job in organising the evening’s proceedings, and hosted the presentation of the year’s awards. Outgoing president Gerry Beighton and outgoing men’s captain Ray Luscombe presented the trophies to the winners and runners-up.
The trophy presentations saw, in the ladies’ competitions, Sharon Kenny go home with the two-wood singles while Terri Ward was presented with the four-wood singles and Sharon Kenny returned with Margaret Bright to receive the pairs trophy.
For the men, Mike Smith was presented with the two-wood singles, Terry House received the four-wood singles and Terry then stepped up again to receive the pairs trophy he won playing with Chris Hawke.
You may also want to watch:
In the open competitions award, Steve Hall capped an excellent year for him as he lifted both the four-wood and three-wood singles trophies, so becoming the 2017 club champion and Kevin Vernon won the Otter Trophy.
Other winners were: Keith Thorley, who took the Fred Burgess Cup for new bowlers; Terri Ward and Eric Richardson, who won the Maurice Jennings mixed pairs cup; Carol Keating and Steve Hall, who won the Nominated Mixed Pairs Cup; and in the Mixed Triples, Frank Holden, Margaret Bright and Brian Baker took the honours.
- 1 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 2 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 3 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 4 Hopes high that half marathon will be an annual event
- 5 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 6 Ottery Primary pupils' pedal power shines through at hill climb
- 7 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 8 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 9 Initial details revealed for this year's week-long Folk Festival
- 10 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
Last, but not least, in the internal triples league, the winning team was the one of Terry House, Margaret Bright, Graham White and Jill White.
So, another year draws to a close. Club nights continue on Fridays through the winter months where members can enjoy a drink with friends and a game of skittles if they chose.
The summer season begins in April 2018, when new members are most welcome. For more information on joining the club, please contact Mike Smith on 01404 811195.