From Ottery to South Africa, young cricketers given the chance to represent Devon abroad
- Credit: Archant
Two cricketers who grew up in the ranks of Ottery Cricket Club have been selected for a Devon Cricket Under 15s tour to South Africa.
Matt Jeacock and Lawrence Walker have been playing for the Otters since they were six years old and have worked their way up through the age groups.
The two have gone on to represent the county and played for the Devon Men's first team at the age of 14 last season.
The pair are now fundraising to allow them to go on the tour and Ottery have offered to host a quiz in honour of the young cricketers.
In respect of the tour, a spokesman for Devon Cricket said: "We have been invited to send a development squad to Western Province and Mpumalanga, our 19th such annual venture. All the players selected have represented Devon and are the best players in their age group in the county. To play overseas against quality opposition is a unique extension to the experiences gained by playing county fixtures.
You may also want to watch:
"We believe that this tour plays an important part in helping our very best players to maximise their potential. Several graduates have represented England at all levels (including Craig Overton in the recent Ashes Test series and Dominic Bess last summer), a number are now professionals playing first class cricket and others play for Devon in the Minor Counties Championship."
The quiz will take place on Saturday, November 30 with doors opening at 7pm for a 7.30pm start. It is maximum of six per team and costs £7 to enter including supper. To book your ticket or register a team, email email@example.com.
- 1 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 2 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 3 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 4 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 5 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 6 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 7 Initial details revealed for this year's week-long Folk Festival
- 8 Run for donkeys in the world’s biggest marathon
- 9 Festival will bring a much-needed boost to the town
- 10 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17