Ottery ladies’ four return from Sidmouth with the Spears Trophy
- Credit: Archant
Ottery St Mary Bowls Club enjoyed a great start to the week when a team representing Ottery ladies took part in the ‘Spears Trophy’ at Sidmouth Bowling Club, writes Michael Smith.
Dot Luff, Jan Richardson, Val Kille and skip Sharon Kenny finished the tournament with an impressive plus 23 shot difference, so winning the trophy in fine style - well done ladies!
The same day, Ottery men were taking on Honiton in the County Trophy, and, in a close match, with the rinks shared, Ottery edged it 75-73, the best rink being that of Eric Richardson, Tony Luff, Ray Luscombe and skip Mike Smith, 23-10.
In the men’s Over-60s League the A team lost at Sidmouth B 26-24, winning on one rink courtesy of an 18-14 success for Tony Luff, John Pethick and skip Terry House. The B team had a convincing two rink win at home to Phear Park B, 55-20, John Mabbott, Dave Rose and skip Brian Baker with a resounding 32-11 victory.
However, the C team continue to struggle going down on both rinks to Belmont C 32-4.
You may also want to watch:
In a friendly fixture at home to Chardstock, Ottery won four rinks to one and by 97-54 overall, the best rink was Moyra Griffin, Dave Rose and skip Terry House 31-9. Finally, Ottery were in action in the EEML with a trip to Hemyock, and, though losing three rinks to one, Ottery took the match 70-61, due in part to a fine 30-5 win by Dot Luff, Brian Salter, Tony Luff and skip Mike Smith.
If any new players would like to try their hand at bowling, come along to the club on a Friday evening from 6pm, with flat shoes or trainers and all equipment and coaching will be provided.
- 1 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 2 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 3 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 4 Hopes high that half marathon will be an annual event
- 5 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 6 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 7 Ottery Primary pupils' pedal power shines through at hill climb
- 8 Demand for properties in Sidmouth is high as South West becomes more desirable
- 9 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 10 Initial details revealed for this year's week-long Folk Festival
Contact Mike Smith on 01404 811195 for more information.