Ottery opening pair averaging 100 after another fine partnership
- Credit: Archant
Ottery St Mary’s Australian all-rounder Oliver West is set to pass 500 for the league season when the Otters host Sidmouth 2nds in the Tolchards Devon League C Division East on Saturday (June 16).
West has so far made a big impression since arriving at the club and his unbeaten 84 from 72 deliveries, hitting 13 fours, in last Saturday’s 10 wicket win over Feniton, takes the Aussie to 493 runs in the campaign.
He launched his league term with 45 in the opening day game against Exeter 2nds that saw the Otters make a winning start to the campaign.
He then scored 84 in the defeat to Kilmington on matchday two – the Otters’ only league defeat of the campaign so far.
In game three, West struck 105 in the win over Braunton and, seven days later he bettered that with 138 in the win over Clyst Hydon.
You may also want to watch:
Match day five saw him record his lowest score to date with a knock of 37 as the Otters racked up a 9 wicket win over Budleigh Salterton 2nds and most recently, last Saturday, he had that unbeaten 84 in the win over Feniton.
It all leaves him having averaging 98.60 for the season at the one-third mark of the campaign.
- 1 The annual Marriott Trophy at Sidmouth Town Football Club
- 2 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 3 Property of the Week: Glebelands
- 4 The questions of British Lions selection
- 5 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 6 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 7 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 8 Ottery Brownie leader set to run London Marathon
- 9 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 10 The keys to good teamwork? Trust, communiication, commitment and accountability
What’s more, the Otters have found a reliable opening partnership for Alex Clements, who has opened with West in all six league games so far, has played his part with 185 runs at an average of 37 and the pair are currently averaging 104 for the first wicket!
Their best to date is a 125 run start in the win over Braunton. Saturday’s 122 unbroken first wicket stand is their other century plus opening stand and they have also had first wicket partnership of 87 against Budleigh, 86 against Clyst Hydon and 62 on match day one against Exeter.
The lowest score the Otters have managed for a first wicket so far is the 37 the pair scored between them in the game against Kilmington.