Ottery petanque player John Thatcher wins Devon Petanque Singles title
- Credit: Archant
The last two championships of the Devon Region Petanque for 2018 were decided last Sunday, with the singles and precision shooting titles up for grabs, writes Chris Bigmore.
The event was held at Chudleigh, and on a technical terrain Ottery St Mary’s John Thatcher overcame a strong field to take the singles crown.
He had earlier topped his group in the first phase of the tournament, with Thierry Hacq and Rob Thomas from the host club leading the other two groups.
Second places were taken by Chudleigh’s Costa Drakatos, along with the Honiton pair of Chris Bigmore and Jenny Lavender.
The afternoon’s knockout stages saw John Thatcher storm through, defeating Costa Drakatos 13-4 in the semi-final to meet Rob Thomas, who also won his last four match 13-4 over Plymouth’s Mike Carroll.
You may also want to watch:
A hard-fought final followed with John Thatcher eventually winning 13-9 to become champion.
This added to his season’s success after being one third of the team that claimed the triples title, and it would have been a clean sweep but for a narrow defeat in the final of the doubles championship.
- 1 The master sportsman: Norman Borrett
- 2 Seven points about Devon and Cornwall policing for G7 leaders
- 3 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 4 Sidmouth's home-grown cricket star Dom Bess in England's win again Sri Lanka
- 5 17th century chest from Ottery manor to be auctioned
- 6 Youngsters invited to join in Fairtrade Fortnight competition
- 7 Lockdown #3 challenges for the Sidmouth runners
- 8 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 9 Praise to community for helping college with online learning during lockdown
- 10 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
In the Plate competition, Ronnie Hutchinson from Honiton overcame Plymouth’s Mike Newberry 13-11 in another closely fought final.
A full day’s play was completed with the precision shooting event and John Thatcher figured again as he took the runner-up spot, but Thierry Hacq scored highest and is champion for 2018.
Devon President Ged Barton presented the trophies to the winners and acknowledged yet another competitive and very successful tournament for the region.