Ottery petanque team put visiting Plymouth to the sword
- Credit: Archant
Plymouth Petanque Club came to Strawberry Lane following a 4 -1 win in the morning at Honiton, writes Dave West.
However, the Otters played well through a hard match to reverse the score line in favour of the home side. Both teams played
well and the true spirit of the game was enjoyed on a sunny afternoon.
In the triples Ottery started well when Dave West, Paul Puddicombe an Mike Bird came from 6-0 down against Dave Hoffmeyer, Mike Carroll and Irene Hoffmeyer to take the game 13-8.
Although in less dramatic style, Rose and John Thatcher with Peter Smith beat Plymothians Stuart and Brenda Rae with Mike Newberry by the same score to put the Otters 2-0 in front.
You may also want to watch:
Dave West and Paul Puddicombe again came from behind in the first doubles, but were pipped at the post when Plymouth’s Dave Hoffmeyer and John Tendell came through to win 13-10. This proved to be the visitors only success when John and Rose
Thatcher overcame Mike Newberry and Mike Carroll 13-6. The last game was nip and tuck with the lead alternating throughout, but Ottery’s Peter Smith and Mike Bird finally took the honours 13-11.
- 1 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 2 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 3 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 4 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 5 Beer Albion celebrate football pitch funding success
- 6 Property of the Week: Glebelands
- 7 Joma Devon and Exeter League results and fixtures
- 8 Double golfing success for the Sidmouth seniors
- 9 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 10 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
So, a fine 4 -1 victory leaves the Otters equal with North Devon side U3A with both club’s having lost just two games each all season.
Ottery have two games left to play, but U3A have only one remaining match at home to Plymouth. Ottery are at home to Isca
and their last game is away at Plymouth so results against the South Devon side could be crucial in deciding which club will top the table.
Anyone in the Ottery area wanting to try out this increasingly popular sport for all ages and abilities can contact Dave West on 01404 812292.