Ottery players win trophies at Keith Brealey Memorial Pairs competition
- Credit: Archant
Isca Petanque Club held the Keith Brealey Memorial Pairs competition last Sunday as a tribute to their late secretary and to raise money for Devon Air Ambulance, and in addition to a grand raffle, entrance fees and sales, two lunch time competitions were held to boost funds.
Ottery St Mary players Dave West won the Pointing and Peter Smith took the Shooting titles, but Smith also scored further success on the day.
On the morning of the contest, Peter Smith had made a last-minute pairing with Isca’s Yvonne Brown before Devon chairman John Thatcher organised the main event in the form of a ‘snake’ and, despite a few early showers, all the games were played in a friendly, but competitive manner.
Four teams finally made it to the play-offs; Smith and Brown, Thierry Hacq and Franck Dupreaux from Chudleigh PC, Joan Dixie and Stewart Brown of host club Isca and Brian and Audrey from Tiverton PC.
Brown and Thatcher came from behind and, in a ding-dong finish, snatched a 13 - 11 win over the Tiverton pairing.
You may also want to watch:
In the other semi-final Dixie and Brown drew level in the closing stages against Hacq and Dupreaux, but it was the Frenchmen who took the game 13 -10.
Delighted, but surprised to find themselves in the final, Smith and Brown seized the chance to take a 3-0 lead after the first end, but the French pairing fought back to make it 3-4 in their favour before Smith and Brown regained the lead at 5-4.
- 1 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 2 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 3 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 4 Ottery Brownie leader set to run London Marathon
- 5 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 6 Plenty of case work picked up on campaign trail, but I'm happy to help
- 7 Double golfing success for the Sidmouth seniors
- 8 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 9 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 10 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
The French duo, playing off scratch, had no answer as the lead was increased to 9-4 and, with further great pointing and shooting, Smith and Brown scored successive ends of three, two and three to secure a popular 13-9 victory.
A good day’s sport had been enjoyed by one and all and with great Brealey family support the sum raised for Devon Air Ambulance was coasting towards £350 before the final count.