Ottery take significant step-up the football pyramid
- Credit: Archant
Ottery St Mary Football Club will be preparing for life in a new division after their application to join the new Devon County Step 7 league was successful.
The club, who previously played in Division 3 of the Devon and Exeter Football League, announced on Monday (June 10) that they would be taking a significant step-up the football pyramid and are now just one promotion away from the South West Peninsula League.
Ottery's chairman Mike Ringer said the club was looking forward to new horizons and thanked everyone that supported their application.
Ringer also said they would be revealing the club's management structure shortly.
The league was created as part of a Devon FA restructure and saw the creation of two 20 South West Peninsula League divisions (step 6 of the National League System) and three Devon and Cornwall FA leagues below that (step 7).
You may also want to watch:
The two step 7 leagues will be split into North and East Devon and a division of South and West Devon, both of which will have 16 teams. The Cornish teams will have their own league also including 16 teams.
Ottery had to make an application to join the new North and East Devon division back in February and Ringer said they thought it was a perfect opportunity considering their facilities, infrastructure, recent growth and stability.
- 1 Family trip to seaside ends in dramatic rescue from rip tide
- 2 Saved from the bin! Charity shop staff hunt for mistaken items
- 3 Sidmouth defeat Boringdon in national competition
- 4 'No further action' after 11 deaths at Sidford care home
- 5 Rugby youngsters finish season with five tries
- 6 Tim Martin of Wetherspoons wants government to offer visas to EU workers to help out in pubs
- 7 New youth project will help young people's voices to be heard
- 8 Old Fore Street pedestrian zone will be open for bicycles to use
- 9 Plans to pedestrianise Sidmouth town centre put forward
- 10 Communities encouraged to apply for rural building funds