Ottery rink ends the 2018 outdoor season with a ‘Hot Shot’ in final home fixture
- Credit: Archant
The Ottery St Mary outdoor season came to a close last Sunday (September 16), writes Michael Smith.
The regular closing event was the ‘Final Drive’ and once again it was given terrific support with six rinks enjoying a fine afternoon’s bowling.
After proceedings had ended, over 50 members were treated to a sumptuous hot roast, thanks to the time and hard work of Sharon Kenny and her trusted helpers.
The previous week saw Ottery play their remaining fixtures for the season. Tiverton Boro’ were the first to visit, winning all four rinks and by 80-50. The next day Madeira were the visitors, who also came away with victory 134-107. Ottery did mange to win one rink with Eric Richardson,Margaret Trayhurn, Sharon Kenny and skip Ray Luscombe 22-13. Ottery then played away at neighbours Honiton, but again were unsuccessful, losing 106-89.
There was one successful Ottery rink, with Richard Chapple, Maureen Phillips and skip Mike Smith winning 19-16.
You may also want to watch:
The final match of the summer season was at home against Tiverton Park and this time Ottery finished on a winning note with a 98-65 success and by four rinks to one, and, to cap a wonderful summer’s bowling, the team of David Roberts, Jill White and skip Gail Hawke not only had the best winning rink 27-8, but also achieved a most coveted ‘Hot Shot’, this is where all nine woods were counting on one end!
Well done to them, on a great end to the season. Friday club nights continue through the winter season with members enjoying all the club’s facilities and the chance to play skittles in the club house.
- 1 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 2 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 3 Plans for restart of operations for Sidmouth Voluntary Services
- 4 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 5 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 6 Sidmouth Girls Rugby
- 7 College launches two new fundraising appeals
- 8 Young gardeners enjoy seeing the early fruits of their labour
- 9 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 10 High Street beckons for hobbyists emerging from lockdown
All information can be found on the club’s website at www.otterystmarybowlingclub.com