Ottery seamer Harrison takes a great eight to sink Abbots
- Credit: Archant
Ottery St Mary paceman Will Harrison provided the perfect response to his omission from the Club’s 1st XI as his career best haul of 8-28 blew away hosts, Abbotskerswell in a painfully one-sided encounter which saw the Salston Field outfit’s 2nd XI continue their tremendous start to the new league season, writes Ian Townsend.
The South Devon side struggled from the off against Harrison’s pace and late in-swing. Wickets fell with alarming regularity as home skipper Paul Mitchell was the only Abbots’ batsman to show any real resistance, posting a brave 31 before edging behind to Rick Jackson in the fifteenth over to become the big left armer’s sixth victim. Having taken the first eight wickets to fall, Harrison appeared to be on course for the rare feat of taking all ten opposition scalps. Medium pacer James Faulkner (2-12) had other ideas, however, as he spoiled the party by claiming two late wickets which saw the home side skittled for a paltry 61.
The Ottery reply suffered early losses as Barry Flicker (2) and returning Dundee University student Alex Thurgate (4) were returned to the pavilion.
That was a good as it got for the home side, however, as Faulkner (23 not out) and 14-year-old prospect Harry Conway got the job done in double quick time, their rapid unbroken stand propelling Ottery to a third victory of the season in just 9.1 overs. Conway’s unbeaten 24 contained a number of pleasing off drives, but Harrison’s devastating burst deservedly took the plaudits and all at Salston Field will hoping that he can translate such form to the Club’s ailing 1st XI.
So, after four matches of the new campaign, the league table makes pleasant reading for newly appointed 2nd XI skipper Rob Crabb whose charges sit in a healthy third place, just one point adrift of local rivals Sidmouth with early season pace setters, Budleigh Salterton, a further 14 points ahead at the top of the table.
You may also want to watch:
Abbotskerswell 61 (P.Mitchell 31, W.Harrison 8-28, J.Faulkner 2-12) Ottery St Mary 62-2 (H.Conway 24*, J.Faulkner 23*, K.Rich 2-26). Ottery St Mary (20pts) bt Abbotskerswell (1pt) by 8 wkts.
- 1 Property of the Week: Glebelands
- 2 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 3 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 4 Beer Albion celebrate football pitch funding success
- 5 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 6 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 7 Joma Devon and Exeter League results and fixtures
- 8 Double golfing success for the Sidmouth seniors
- 9 A couple of new starts for Ottery Bowling Club
- 10 New team on frontline for mental health care and support