Ottery seamer Harrison takes a great eight to sink Abbots
- Credit: Archant
Ottery St Mary paceman Will Harrison provided the perfect response to his omission from the Club’s 1st XI as his career best haul of 8-28 blew away hosts, Abbotskerswell in a painfully one-sided encounter which saw the Salston Field outfit’s 2nd XI continue their tremendous start to the new league season, writes Ian Townsend.
The South Devon side struggled from the off against Harrison’s pace and late in-swing. Wickets fell with alarming regularity as home skipper Paul Mitchell was the only Abbots’ batsman to show any real resistance, posting a brave 31 before edging behind to Rick Jackson in the fifteenth over to become the big left armer’s sixth victim. Having taken the first eight wickets to fall, Harrison appeared to be on course for the rare feat of taking all ten opposition scalps. Medium pacer James Faulkner (2-12) had other ideas, however, as he spoiled the party by claiming two late wickets which saw the home side skittled for a paltry 61.
The Ottery reply suffered early losses as Barry Flicker (2) and returning Dundee University student Alex Thurgate (4) were returned to the pavilion.
That was a good as it got for the home side, however, as Faulkner (23 not out) and 14-year-old prospect Harry Conway got the job done in double quick time, their rapid unbroken stand propelling Ottery to a third victory of the season in just 9.1 overs. Conway’s unbeaten 24 contained a number of pleasing off drives, but Harrison’s devastating burst deservedly took the plaudits and all at Salston Field will hoping that he can translate such form to the Club’s ailing 1st XI.
So, after four matches of the new campaign, the league table makes pleasant reading for newly appointed 2nd XI skipper Rob Crabb whose charges sit in a healthy third place, just one point adrift of local rivals Sidmouth with early season pace setters, Budleigh Salterton, a further 14 points ahead at the top of the table.
You may also want to watch:
Abbotskerswell 61 (P.Mitchell 31, W.Harrison 8-28, J.Faulkner 2-12) Ottery St Mary 62-2 (H.Conway 24*, J.Faulkner 23*, K.Rich 2-26). Ottery St Mary (20pts) bt Abbotskerswell (1pt) by 8 wkts.
- 1 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 2 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 3 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 4 East Devon author launches satirical book
- 5 Sad loss at Beer Albion
- 6 Lottery funding for fishermen's shed project
- 7 Friends of the Byes are helping to to save life on earth starting with a bramble bank
- 8 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
- 9 Sidmouth vaccinations are off to a good start
- 10 Sid Valley Practice appeals for help during vaccine rollout