Ottery see off Seaton Town to net Morrison Bell Cup quarter-final berth
- Credit: Getty Images/Image Source
Ottery St Mary were good value for Sunday’s 3-2 win over Macron League Premier Division side Seaton Town to win a place in the last eight of the Morrison Bell Cup.
The sides met on the artificial surface at Axminster where Jordan Wilkinson scored what proved to be the only goal of the first half which ended with the Otters leading 1-0.
Seaton levelled and then took a 2-1 lead in the second half and, as the clock ticked down it looked as it the ‘status quo;’ would stand and the top flight side would put out the Division Three Otters.
However, Ottery boss Dave Fairweather, who had said before the cup tie that he quietly fancied his teams chances, saw them draw level at 2-2 thanks to an 85th minute Dan Jewell goal and, four minutes later, they won it when Todd Gilronan netted.
In the last eight, the Otters will meet another Macron League Premier Division side in Feniton – that game has yet to be given a date. Already through to the last four of the competition are Upottery – 2-0 midweek winners at Peninsula league Budleigh.
You may also want to watch:
The other quarter-final tie is set to be played this coming Tuesday under the Manstone lane, Sidmouth floodlights with Town’s first team taking on Lyme Regis.
The Otters also face a Feniton side this coming Thursday (March 21) as they entertain the Fenny second team in a Grandisson Cup last eight tie.
- 1 Property of the Week: Glebelands
- 2 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 3 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 4 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 5 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 6 The annual Marriott Trophy at Sidmouth Town Football Club
- 7 Beer Albion celebrate football pitch funding success
- 8 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 9 The questions of British Lions selection
- 10 Plans for restart of operations for Sidmouth Voluntary Services
The other Grandisson Cup ties are: Kentisbeare v East Budleigh (no date yet); Sidmouth Town Reserves v Bradninch Town (playing at Manstone Lane on Tuesday, March 26) and Tipton St John v Bravehearts (no date yet).