Ottery St Mary and Sidmouth glider pilots top the national ladder on Saturday at the Devon and Somerset Gliding Club
- Credit: Archant
Saturday proved to be a good day for gliding in Devon, with Pete Startup from Ottery St Mary in Discus 230, topping the BGA national ladder by scoring 2,110 points for his flight of 300km from North Hill into Cornwall and Dorset, writes Jill Harmer.
In second place on Saturday, with 2,008 points were John Pursey from Plymouth and Simon Minson from Sidmouth, flying Duo Discus DD3 on the same task.
It makes a change for Devon to excel over the rest of the country.
Congratulations to Lukasz Kieruczenko from Exeter, who achieved Silver height - a gain of more than 1km in altitude flying in one of the club junior gliders.
It was a good week for gliding all round with the course that was weathered out in April enjoying the rearranged date, and groups from Yeovil Rotary Club, 20th Torbay Scouts, West Buckland School and Honeywell having some great evening flights.
You may also want to watch:
Try gliding by starting with a trial lesson. Find out about trial lessons at Devon and Somerset Gliding Club, purchase and book online by visiting www.dsgc.co.uk
- 1 First time in a year for Sidmouth's rugby youngsters
- 2 Now is the time to shop locally says Sidmouth artist
- 3 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 4 Public help needed to find wild violets around East Devon
- 5 Sidmouth electric car club survey launched
- 6 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 7 Talking Newspapers set to restart service
- 8 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 9 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 10 A tussle for the ages at Ottery Bowls