Ottery St Mary book semi-final place in Golesworthy Cup
- Credit: Archant
A blow to Ottery St Mary’s Fresha Division Five promotion hopes was softened by Golesworthy Cup progress this week.
The Washbrook Meadows side lost 1-3 to Priory at home on Saturday.
They had taken the lead through a Ben Rushton penalty before the visitors deservedly took control.
Ottery boss Dave Fairweather said: “Priory punished us. Without playing particularly well, we spurned numerous gilt-edged chances. It was very disappointing.”
The Otters Man-of-the-match was goalkeeper Duncan Smith.
You may also want to watch:
The defeat left Ottery needing to win both their remaining games, and for promotion rivals Kentisbeare to lose theirs, to land a top-three spot.
In the cup, Ottery beat Sidmouth 3rds 4-1 at Washbrook Meadows on Tuesday evening.
- 1 Dom Bess representing Sidmouth in Sri Lanka
- 2 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 3 Lottery funding for fishermen's shed project
- 4 Safety, security and sustainability at Sidmouth Town
- 5 Sid Vale Association marks its 175th anniversary
- 6 Friends of the Byes are helping to to save life on earth starting with a bramble bank
- 7 Fishing vessel rescued by Exmouth RNLI
- 8 "Whoever you are, the county council will almost certainly play some role in your everyday life"
- 9 Sid Valley Practice appeals for help during vaccine rollout
- 10 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
They were lucky to go in level and goalless at half-time after a lacklustre display, but fared far better in the second half.
Braces from man-of-the-match Adam Harris and Tom Collins landed the home side a semi-final berth against Otterton.
The Otters take on Halwill in the league away on Saturday (May 7) with a 3pm kick-off, before travelling to Kentisbeare on Wednesday, 6.30pm kick-off.