Ottery St Mary book semi-final place in Golesworthy Cup
- Credit: Archant
A blow to Ottery St Mary’s Fresha Division Five promotion hopes was softened by Golesworthy Cup progress this week.
The Washbrook Meadows side lost 1-3 to Priory at home on Saturday.
They had taken the lead through a Ben Rushton penalty before the visitors deservedly took control.
Ottery boss Dave Fairweather said: “Priory punished us. Without playing particularly well, we spurned numerous gilt-edged chances. It was very disappointing.”
The Otters Man-of-the-match was goalkeeper Duncan Smith.
You may also want to watch:
The defeat left Ottery needing to win both their remaining games, and for promotion rivals Kentisbeare to lose theirs, to land a top-three spot.
In the cup, Ottery beat Sidmouth 3rds 4-1 at Washbrook Meadows on Tuesday evening.
- 1 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 2 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 3 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 4 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 5 Photographic competition challenges snappers to spring into action
- 6 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 7 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 8 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 9 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 10 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
They were lucky to go in level and goalless at half-time after a lacklustre display, but fared far better in the second half.
Braces from man-of-the-match Adam Harris and Tom Collins landed the home side a semi-final berth against Otterton.
The Otters take on Halwill in the league away on Saturday (May 7) with a 3pm kick-off, before travelling to Kentisbeare on Wednesday, 6.30pm kick-off.