Ottery St Mary boss speaks on new season
- Credit: Archant
Ottery St Mary boss Mike Dawe is quietly confident about the season ahead.
However, he is guarded about making any bold – and rash – predictions!
He says: “You’ll not get me singing and shouting about how we are going to take Division Five by storm!
Far from it, indeed, I see this season as one that is going to be much harder than last time round. Last season there were two or three teams who were in the shake-up for honours all the way through the campaign, but this time round I think we’ll see there are many more teams involved.
Would I like us to be part of it – of course. There’s no point us even starting the season unless we are going to be positive about it. However, at this stage I’m looking for a top six place. Top three and promotion is of course the ultimate target and indeed wish, but we have to be realistic and accept that we may well not be the top side as we were last season.
You may also want to watch:
“That said, I am happy to repeat my feelings of 12 months ago.
“We are on a journey here at Ottery St Mary, a journey that I sincerely hope takes this club to a much higher level of football.
- 1 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 2 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 3 Plans for restart of operations for Sidmouth Voluntary Services
- 4 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 5 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 6 Sidmouth Girls Rugby
- 7 College launches two new fundraising appeals
- 8 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 9 Young gardeners enjoy seeing the early fruits of their labour
- 10 High Street beckons for hobbyists emerging from lockdown
“We have endured a difficult pre-season on and off the pitch, but all that is behind us now and the time has come for us to get down to the business of winning football matches.
“I think we’ll be OK and, once again, I’ll say with confidence that if it does not work out how we hoped it will not be for the want of trying.”