Ottery St Mary bowl to success at Bovey Tracey
- Credit: Archant
Ottery’s first away fixture of the new outdoor season proved to be a mighty close affair, writes Michael Smith.
The Otters visit to Bovey Tracey saw the rink score tied at two-all, but the overall score ended with Ottery one shot winners at 69-68.
The best winning rink was that of Chris Hawke, Steve Goodenough, Molly Parker and skip Eric Saunders 24-15.
A couple of days later Ottery were off on their travels again this time taking six rinks to Brixham, Ottery went down three rinks to two with one drawn, and an overall loss of 100-122, the best winning rink being that of Celia Russell, Val Kille, Tony Luff and skip Terry House 22-17.
Next up was a trip to the Otters’ near neighbours Honiton, and, in another closely fought match, rinks were shared three-all, with Honiton coming away with the victory being 117-110.
You may also want to watch:
Ottery’s best winning rink this time was Moyra Griffin, Rita Johnson, Richard Chapple and skip George Kille, who won 32-23.
In the preliminary round of the Men’s County Grater Pairs, Ottery duo Tony Luff and skip Mike Smith narrowly overcame another Ottery pairing of Tony Bushell and skip Kevin Vernon 18-15, and so move on to the next round to be played at Seaton.
- 1 Praise to community for helping college with online learning during lockdown
- 2 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 3 Sidmouth's home-grown cricket star Dom Bess in England's win again Sri Lanka
- 4 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 5 Football in support of mental health
- 6 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 7 Ottery St Mary Silver Band 'Centenary+1' fundraiser launched
- 8 East Devon author launches satirical book
- 9 Sad loss at Beer Albion
- 10 Sidmouth vaccinations are off to a good start
This coming Friday (May 6), the club holds an Open Day running from 2pm until 8pm when the club hopes to play host to all those interested in trying the wonderful game of bowls. Coaching and equipment will be provided and all folk need to bring is suitable footwear which should be trainers or flat shoes. Refreshments will also be provided in the afternoon and a buffet will be available in the evening, so come along any time to see what is on offer. You will find us in Strawberry Lane (next to the cricket club), for more information contact Mike Smith on 01404 811195.