Ottery St Mary bowler Kevin Vernon wins England cap
- Credit: Archant
A member of Ottery St Mary Bowling Club has just been awarded his England international cap, writes Michael Smith.
In a recent Home Nations Tournament meeting, Kevin Vernon was selected to play for Disability Bowls England.
Kevin was part of the triples team during the first two days where England were up against the Wales team and then against Scotland.
On the first day against Wales, Kevin was presented with his England cap by a legend of the sport of bowls, David Bryant. Kevin also received his England shirt and jacket.
The tournament took place at The Clarence Bowling Club in Weston-super-Mare over the course of three days and over a number of different disciplines.
You may also want to watch:
On the final day England were up against Scotland; this time Kevin was part of the ‘Fours’.
The country with the greatest number of points over the three days would be crowned champions and with a fine performance in the ‘Fours’ against Scotland, England secured a terrific victory and were duly presented with the Home Nations Trophy – a very proud moment for Kevin and Ottery St Mary Bowling Club – congratulations to Kevin and here’s to there being many more England caps!
- 1 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 2 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 3 Can you help Ottery become plastic free?
- 4 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 5 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 6 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 7 Build Back Fairer by supporting Fairtrade in Sidmouth
- 8 Fundraising heroine Diana is sitting pretty at 98
- 9 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 10 The return of Covid to the streets of Sidmouth, and what St George did next!