Ottery St Mary bowler lands top title at Lyme Regis Open
- Credit: Archant
In the recent 58th Open Tournament at Lyme Regis, Ottery’s Shirley Fewtrell teamed up with Seaton’s Roger Woolland in the Open Pairs, writes Michael Smith.
In all, some 59 pairs from around the Southern Counties took part. After battling through five rounds during the week-long tournament, Shirley and Roger came up against last years winners in the semi-finals where they had a fine 24-9 victory, this meant they were up against Kevin Ball (Chichester) and Clive Benham, an ex-England international player, in the final!
After getting off to a good start they maintained their form and ran out winners 25-15, congratulations to Shirley and Roger for a great performance after an exhausting week !
Ottery men did not fair so well in their County Trophy meeting with Madeira with the Exmouth team winning on three rinks and one being drawn.
In the men’s Over-60s League only the B team saw action and they found the table-topping Madeira team too hot to handle, losing on both rinks.
You may also want to watch:
The ladies kept the Ottery flag flying with a fine win away to Seaton Red in the Ladies Over-50s Triples League (LOFTL). Dot Luff, Sharon Kenny and skip Mollie Parker secured a 25-7 win to ensure a 36-26 overall victory.
Ottery ended the week with another two friendlies. Plymstock arrived by coach with six rinks ready to play, and, in a keenly contested match, the visitors ran out winners on four of the rinks with Ottery winning on one and the other being drawn.
- 1 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 2 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 3 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 4 Ottery Brownie leader set to run London Marathon
- 5 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 6 Plenty of case work picked up on campaign trail, but I'm happy to help
- 7 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 8 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 9 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 10 Double golfing success for the Sidmouth seniors
Ottery’s winning rink was Dot Luff, Carol Bennett, Clive Gibbs and skip Dave Rose 20-19. In another LOFTL encounter Ottery ladies had a narrow one shot victory at home to Madeira so continuing their successful run in this league.
Last but not least in terms of the recent action Ottery took five triples to Chardstock where the home team won by three rinks to two and the match by 83 shots to 71.
Ottery’s best rink was that of Carol Bennett, Dave Rose and skip Brian Baker who won 18-12.
We may well be already halfway through the season, but there’s still plenty of time to come and try your hand at bowls. Just come along on any Friday night from 6pm wearing flat shoes or trainers, and all coaching and equipment will be provided, for more information contact Mike Smith on 01404 811195.