Ottery St Mary bowlers begin new campaign at Starwberry Lane
- Credit: Archant
A new season of outdoor bowling was launched at Ottery St Mary on Sunday, writes Stephen Birley.
Fittingly for the dawn of a new campaign the sun shone brightly as the members gathered in good numbers to welcome in the new term.
Ottery head groundsman John Ward had worked his usual magic to present a pristine turf for the first day of action.
As is tradition it was the club president Michael Potter who got the season under way by bowling the first wood and this was followed by a thoroughly enjoyable afternoons bowling, extremely well organised by the new club captain Sharon Kenny.
There is a busy season ahead for the bowlers with numerous friendly matches, county matches and visits from nine touring sides.
You may also want to watch:
In addition to the on green action there are in-house competitions and plenty of social activities organised around the bowls.
New members are always made very welcome at the club and each Friday night is dedicated to new members.
- 1 First time in a year for Sidmouth's rugby youngsters
- 2 Now is the time to shop locally says Sidmouth artist
- 3 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 4 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 5 Public help needed to find wild violets around East Devon
- 6 Sidmouth electric car club survey launched
- 7 Talking Newspapers set to restart service
- 8 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 9 A tussle for the ages at Ottery Bowls
- 10 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
All interested folk need to do is to turn up at the clubs Strawberry Lane headquarters with flat shoes or trainers from 6pm and everything else will be taken care of, including a free coaching session!
Bowls is certainly a sport that harbours no grudge on age! That was shown so clearly at the opening afternoon of action at Ottery when amongst the many bowlers were two at very opposite ends of the age spectrum!
Ottery’s youngest member, 10-year-old Grace Ward was on duty as was the oldest member, 91-years-young Ken Pollitt!
For more information on all things Ottery St Mary bowls contact Mike Smith 01404 811195 or Maureen Phillips 01404 813554.