Ottery St Mary Bowls Club begin a new outdoor season
- Credit: Archant
There was a great turn out for the first day of the Ottery St Mary Bowls Club summer season with over 60 members taking part in the ‘Opening Drive’, writes Michael Smith.
Adding significantly to the sense of occasion was the fact that the Easter Sunday weather was truly gorgeous and we really could not have asked for more!
Club president Maggie Beighton got proceedings under way by bowling the first wood and with the green bowling remarkably well for this early in the season, all bodes well for a good summers bowling.
A fine tea was enjoyed by all at midway through the afternoon, with hot cross buns being the order of the day.
The day ended with members having a well earned drink at the bar - well it was a hot afternoon!
You may also want to watch:
The best winning rink was that of Fenella Griggs, Maureen Phillips, Mike Cozens and skip Richard Bland, who were presented naturally with an Easter egg each.
Friday club nights get under way this Friday (April 26), and, as ever, all new players are welcomed to come along to try the game.
- 1 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 2 17th century chest from Ottery manor to be auctioned
- 3 Commemorative elm tree planted to mark National Tree Warden scheme's 30th anniversary
- 4 Free Zoom workshop for parents, carers and professionals during Lockdown
- 5 'Follow the spirit of the lockdown restrictions'
- 6 'It’s amazing how much you take for granted and how much we have to be grateful for'
- 7 Westpoint one of two news venues to be used for vaccine roll out
- 8 The master sportsman: Norman Borrett
- 9 Sidmouth Rugby Club’s Devon success stories
- 10 Hospiscare charity will hold virtual recruitment fair
Coaching and equipment will be provided, just turn up around 6pm, wearing flat soled footwear.
For more information visit the club website at otterystmarybowlingclub.com or contact Mike Smith on 01404 811195.