Ottery St Mary couple get England Short Mat Bowls call-up
- Credit: Archant
An Ottery St Mary couple are celebrating the fact that both have been called up for national duty with the England short mat bowls team, writes Jac Bevan
Seven days after Sidbury short mat bowls team captain Eric Pavey got the England call, his wife, Caroline, received a similar call saying she had been selected for the England ladies’ national team.
Caroline, a county level player, is a stalwart of Sidbury short mat bowls club and she received the call while at work.
She said of the call: “You could have knocked me down with a feather when I took got the news.
“That said, I am so pleased – and excited. It is another example of how our club is clearly getting noticed!”
You may also want to watch:
Husband Eric, who had the call-up to the men’s team the week before, is the captain of the Sidbury Short Mat Bowls team that plays in the East Devon Short Mat Bowls League.
A passionate short mat bowler, Eric has captained the Sidbury team for a number of years and has helped build the club into being one of the more successful in the region with a healthy, growing membership, and with several club members now playing County level bowls. He supports anyone and everyone, regardless of ability or age, who would like to try the game, with encouragement, advice and playing tips.
- 1 Now is the time to shop locally says Sidmouth artist
- 2 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 3 First time in a year for Sidmouth's rugby youngsters
- 4 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 5 Public help needed to find wild violets around East Devon
- 6 Sidmouth electric car club survey launched
- 7 Talking Newspapers set to restart service
- 8 When it comes to our beach, its about taking responsibility for what we do
- 9 A tussle for the ages at Ottery Bowls
- 10 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
Sidbury Short Mat Bowls Club meets every Monday and Thursday evening and also each Thursday afternoon.