Ottery St Mary Cricket Club to re-launch girls’ and women’s cricket
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
After a challenging 2017 season, Ottery St Mary Cricket Club aim to put things right again in 2018.
One item on the agenda is getting more members. The re-introduction of a girls’ team, as well as the introduction of a women’s cricket team should go a long way to helping that.
Girls’ cricket was set up in 2012 and had some early successes, However, there was difficulty in keeping it running and proceedings came to a halt in 2016.
After recent changes at the club, the aim is to get it up and running, and this time keep it running!
The sessions officially start on Monday, April 23, at the club’s Salston Field home, running from 6pm until 7pm and for a period of 10 weeks, five before the May half-term and five weeks after, with a cost of £10 for each five-week block.
You may also want to watch:
The sessions are aimed for those aged between the ages of six and 12, and will be softball based with an aim to establish a hardball team in future years.
Something new at the club this season is the plan to run women’s cricket sessions. As part of the Wine and Wickets initiative, the club will be running 10 sessions aimed at fun, enjoyable and informal softball cricket.
- 1 High Street beckons for hobbyists emerging from lockdown
- 2 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 3 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 4 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 5 When it comes to our beach, its about taking responsibility for what we do
- 6 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 7 SRC mighty six take on Sid Valley Ring half-marathon
- 8 Now is the time to shop locally says Sidmouth artist
- 9 Ottery Primary pupils' pedal power shines through at hill climb
- 10 Mixed weekend for Sidmouth and Ottery Hockey
These will be taking place weekly from Monday, May 7, from 7-8pm and no experience is required to come and give it a go. The long-term aim of the project is to have a ladies’ team at Ottery, but for now the club would like to see more women playing off the back of England’s success at last year’s World Cup.
No fixtures have been set up yet, but the club would be open to organising fixtures from June onwards, depending on numbers!
All of the sessions will be run by Alex Clements: any enquiries can be directed to Alex himself at either 078133 38312 or via email at email@example.com