Ottery St Mary cricketers suffer opening day disappointment
- Credit: Archant
Ottery St Mary will have better days than their three senior XIs endured on the opening day of the new Tolchards Devon League cricket season.
All three senior teams went down in their respective matches.
The 1st XI were beaten at home in their B Division meeting with Barton, going down by five wickets.
Billy Reed (31) and Matt Reed (27) were the only home batters to make an impression in what was a disappointing home total of 122.
Joe Birch and Will Harrison each bagged a brace of wickets, but Barton eased to victory with room to spare.
You may also want to watch:
Ottery 2nd XI were beaten by two wickets in a low scoring affair at Barton.
Batting first, the Otters were bowled out for 127 with J Maldon the top scorer with 27.
- 1 First time in a year for Sidmouth's rugby youngsters
- 2 Now is the time to shop locally says Sidmouth artist
- 3 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 4 Public help needed to find wild violets around East Devon
- 5 Sidmouth electric car club survey launched
- 6 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 7 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 8 A tussle for the ages at Ottery Bowls
- 9 Talking Newspapers set to restart service
- 10 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
Maldon then took three of the eight home wickets to fall, but Barton squeezed home at 128-8.
The Ottery 3rd XI went down to a 10 wicket defeat at home to Cullompton II who bowled them out for 81 and then strolled to victory without losing a wicket.
For a more comprehensive round up of the Ottery matches make sure of your copy of the Sidmouth Herald – out next on Friday May 12.