Ottery St Mary crowned Devon Petanque League champions
- Credit: Archant
The Devon Petanque League season was brought to a conclusion last week with the final round of matches played and champions Ottery St Mary finished their campaign in style, writes Chris Bigmore.
They went into their last two matches already crowned as champions and secured decisive wins over Isca and Wellington, who ended up occupying the bottom two places.
It has been a learning curve for Wellington in their debut year in the league and an improvement was apparent during the season that should see them progress next term.
Along with Isca they also suffered defeat at the hands of Honiton who emerged from the pack to finish as surprise runners up to their East Devon neighbours.
The other side who were in contention for second place was Mayflower, who enjoyed a very good season as a new set up at Brickfields Sports. They finished in third place after a win and a loss against the two mid table teams of Torridge and Pig On The Hill, and it was the same outcome for Plymouth to end a frustrating season for them.
You may also want to watch:
Last years champions, Chudleigh, had already completed their fixtures but the results from the round meant they dropped down to a sixth place finish.
It is Ottery, then, who are the deserved 2019 league champions after a season that saw them lose only two matches and, in reality, always in firm control at the top. After a run in recent years of finishing runners up to a few different clubs, they finally won their first title since 2010.
- 1 Sidmouth vaccinations are off to a good start
- 2 Sid Valley Practice appeals for help during vaccine rollout
- 3 Tar Barrel Night paintings will help keep the event rolling
- 4 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
- 5 Popular Sidmouth swimathon set to return this year
- 6 An extra £4.6 billion made available to support UK businesses during lockdown
- 7 'Big Lie' politics go back further than Donald Trump - Paul Arnott
- 8 Celebs urged to lead by example and stay away from Devon
- 9 Sidmouth Photography Club: Photography officially recognised for its mental health benefits
- 10 Government scraps proposals to increase house building quota in East Devon
Final match results: Ottery St Mary 4, Isca 1; Honiton 4, Wellington 1; Mayflower 2, Torridge 3; Plymouth 2, Pig On The Hill 3; Ottery St Mary 4, Wellington 1; Honiton 3, Isca 2; Mayflower 3, Pig On The Hill 2; Plymouth 4, Torridge 1.
Devon Petanque League 2019 final table
P W G PD BP TP
Ottery St Mary 16 14 55 196 1 43
Honiton 16 11 48 99 3 36
Mayflower 16 10 44 35 4 34
Pig On The Hill 16 9 39 19 4 31
Torridge U3A 16 8 42 12 5 29
Chudleigh 16 8 39 23 3 27
Plymouth 16 6 39 4 7 25
Isca 16 6 38 -46 5 23
Wellington 16 0 16 -342 3 3
PD= points difference; BP = bonus points; TP = total points