Ottery St Mary III bowlers fail to deliver.
- Credit: Archant
Despite posting a competitive total in their local derby with visiting Upottery, Ottery St Mary 3rd XI last weekend slipped to their fifth defeat of the season as their bowlers produced a collectively loose performance which allowed the visitors to cruise to an easy win, writes Ian Townsend.
Teenagers Frank Hartley and Harry Peters (24) produced a good 59-run stand for the second wicket as the hosts began well. Hartley unleashed as series of fine shots to register a maiden league fifty, eventually reaching 64 (11 fours) before being dismissed.
Skipper John Tierney then blasted a typically brutal 43 from just 21 balls (five fours and three sixes) and, with fourteen year old Henry Mutter unfurling some delightful drives in his impressive 33, Ottery closed on a promising 227-7.
The home bowling was given a solid start by Tom Hinch and Tom Gardner as Upottery replied, but this control soon evaporated. Matt Broom (58) and Jason Kennard (57*) took advantage of regular wayward offerings to post an unbeaten 130-run stand, guiding their side to 212-3 before drizzle forced the players off thus handing the visitors victory on run rate.
The Otters did themselves no favours by bowling an eye-watering 45 wides, clearly a source of considerable irritation to their skipper who afterwards reflected: “What’s disappointing me is that our bowling just isn’t improving – we just couldn’t put any pressure on them”.
You may also want to watch:
Ottery St Mary 3rd XI 227-7 (F Hartley 64, J Tierney 43, H Mutter 33, H Peters 24) Upottery 212-3 (M Broom 58, J Kennard 57*). Upottery (20pts) bt Ottery St Mary (6pts) on run rate.
- 1 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 2 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 3 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 4 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 5 Beer Albion celebrate football pitch funding success
- 6 Property of the Week: Glebelands
- 7 Joma Devon and Exeter League results and fixtures
- 8 Double golfing success for the Sidmouth seniors
- 9 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 10 A couple of new starts for Ottery Bowling Club