Ottery St Mary IIs away trek brings hollow victory
- Credit: Archant
Last weekend’s trip to South Devon saw Ottery St Mary 2nd XI maintain their promotion push with a crushing victory over nine-man Stoke Gabriel in a contest which was so one sided that it bordered on the farcical, writes Ian Townsend.
The painfully weak home side were shot out for just 49 after which the visitors raced to their target for the loss of two wickets with a massive 32 overs to spare.
Veteran paceman Keith Biggs made his mark in his first appearance of the season as he blew away Stoke’s top order to claim 4-9 in seven overs. Openers Paul Collings (9) and Dave Higgins (0) both fell to sharp catches by Rick Jackson at first slip before Doug Ansley (1) and Andy Ball (0) were bowled to leave the score on 17-4 after 12 overs. Jeff Baker at least put up a fight as he occupied the crease, scoring just a single off his first 53 balls! A modicum of respectability was restored as 20 runs were added with Kai Horsborough (10) who was eventually caught by Alex Tubbs off Zac Johns. Baker top scored with 13 off 82 balls before skipper Rob Crabb claimed the late wickets of Clive Burnell (6), caught by Duncan Bradshaw-Smith, and Martin Noye (0), trapped lbw, without conceding a run.
Billy Rudolph (0) played around a straight ball from Horsborough to be bowled early in the Otters reply but the in-form Ed Fowler (21 with three fours) and Alex Clements (12*) took the score to 33 before the former was bowled by Ball. Crabb (11*) then delivered a couple of lusty blows to see his side home in double quick time.
Tomorrow’s trip to face Brixham will pose a far sterner challenge as the Torbay side boast amongst their ranks prolific former Devon all-rounder, Andy Pugh who, back in early June, blasted a terrific century in a high scoring encounter at Salston Field.
You may also want to watch:
Stoke Gabriel 49 (K Biggs 4-9, R.Crabb 2-0) Ottery St Mary 50-2 (E Fowler 21). Ottery St Mary (20pts) bt Stoke Gabriel (1pt) by 8 wkts.
- 1 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 2 Nicola hoping to inspire Sidmouth slimmers through weight loss
- 3 'It’s amazing how much you take for granted and how much we have to be grateful for'
- 4 'Follow the spirit of the lockdown restrictions'
- 5 Commemorative elm tree planted to mark National Tree Warden scheme's 30th anniversary
- 6 17th century chest from Ottery manor to be auctioned
- 7 Police chase driver facing jail for 90mph pursuit in country lanes
- 8 Free Zoom workshop for parents, carers and professionals during Lockdown
- 9 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 10 £12,500 donated to lockdown laptops for schools appeal