Ottery St Mary in pre-season action at Kingsbury
- Credit: Archant
Ottery St Mary are well into their pre-season work and have their second warm-up game this weekend with a Saturday (July 22) visit to Yeovil-based Kingsbury.
Last weekend the Otters began their pre-season action with a 5-0 win at Macron League Division Seven side Spreyton.
Manager Dave Fairweather said: “It was a good workout and what pleased me most was the amount of play we serve dup in the game that clearly cam from the training ground.
“When that happens a coach knows that his ideas are getting through to the players and the lads really did produce the goods.”
He continued: “I feel that last Saturday’s performance spoke volumes for the work that the lads have been putting in at the pre-season sessions.
You may also want to watch:
“One gripe I had last season was our lack of intensity in matches, but there was no sign of that at Spreyton and I am looking forward to seeing us play with real intensity from the first whistle this coming Macron League season.
“We have regularly had as many as 20 players at the Tuesday night sessions and all are champing at the bit and pushing for a starting berth.
- 1 First time in a year for Sidmouth's rugby youngsters
- 2 Now is the time to shop locally says Sidmouth artist
- 3 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 4 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 5 Public help needed to find wild violets around East Devon
- 6 Sidmouth electric car club survey launched
- 7 Talking Newspapers set to restart service
- 8 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 9 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 10 A tussle for the ages at Ottery Bowls
“What’s more, I feel that this pre-season we have been working harder than ever before – it’s the best build-up we have had at Ottery in many season and that can only be a good thing once we get into the campaign.”
At Kingsbury Fairweather will take as many players along as want to be involved. He said: “I’d think we’d take 18 and try and give everyone some game time. The squad is coming along well, we have a couple of new faces who have fitted in quickly and, at this stage of the pre-season period I can confidently say that things are going very well.”