Ottery St Mary members enjoy Presidents Day
- Credit: Archant
Ottery St Mary members celebrated Presidents Day last Sunday, writes Michael Smith.
Club president Michael Potter got the proceedings off to fine start providing a bottle of champagne to the player nearest the jack in the ‘Spider’ competition which was duly won by Peter Jones.
Play then got under way with six rinks enjoying a glorious afternoons bowling, with a much appreciated ‘high tea’ halfway through the match, supplied by some of the members.
On a more serious note the ladies had an overall victory away to Phear Park in the NBTL, with Ann Howells, Joan Saunders and skip Sharon Kenny winning 21-7.
All three of the men’s Over-60s Triples League teams suffered defeats this week.
You may also want to watch:
The A team lost to Feniton A by two shots, the B team lost to Chagford and the C team went down to Tiverton West End D, but with Don Dalton, Ken Dennis and skip Brian Bramley achieving a fine 17-12 success and their first points of the season!
In a friendly match at home to Exonia, Ottery were 67-60 winners, winning on three rinsk and losing just the one.
- 1 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 2 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 3 Plans for restart of operations for Sidmouth Voluntary Services
- 4 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 5 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 6 Sidmouth Girls Rugby
- 7 College launches two new fundraising appeals
- 8 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 9 Young gardeners enjoy seeing the early fruits of their labour
- 10 High Street beckons for hobbyists emerging from lockdown
Fortunes were reversed in a friendly away to Starcross, with Ottery just winning on one rink and losing on the other three.
In a recent Section Three match against Section Two, at Tiverton West End, Ottery were represented by Eric Saunders, Mike Smith, Terry House and skip Brian Baker, and duly won their rink against a team from Cullompton 30-10, helping the Section Three cause to an overall win and progression to the semi-finals in August, to be held at Torquay.
New players are always made very welcome at the regular Friday night open session which run from 6pm.
It’s simply a case of turning up with a pair of flat shoes or trainers, everything else will be provided, for more information please ring Mike Smith on 01404 811195.