Ottery St Mary Over-60s teams in another clean sweep of success
- Credit: Archant
The past week was another successful one for the men of Ottery St Mary Bowls Club with all three of the club’s Exeter and District Over-60s Triples League teams enjoying success, writes Michael Smith.
The A team were in action away at Culm Vale A where they recorded a 35-31 victory with the top rink being the one of Chris Hawke, Dave Brown and skip Kohn Pethick, who won 21-14.
The B team had home advantage for their meeting with Heavitree B and they powered their way to a 48 shots to 37 success with the best rink being Richard Chapple, Andrew Evans and skip Tony Panzeri, who won 29-8.
With the C team out of action, it was left to the D team to try and close the gap between the two at the top of the Division Eight table, something they achieved thanks to a 37-22 home win over Uffculme C.
The best rink was the one of Maurice Flower, Clive Gibbs and skip Tony Delahay, who won 20-12 and the gap between leaders Ottery C and Ottery D in second is now just five points.
You may also want to watch:
Ottery men played hosts to Bowls Devon Presidents, with the president’s men proving victorious winning by 115 shots to 107 and by four rinks to two.
Last weekend, Ottery hosted the annual Redfern Trophy with six invited teams from neighbouring clubs playing against six Ottery teams in a round-robin format.
- 1 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 2 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 3 East Devon author launches satirical book
- 4 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 5 Sad loss at Beer Albion
- 6 Lottery funding for fishermen's shed project
- 7 Sidmouth vaccinations are off to a good start
- 8 Sid Valley Practice appeals for help during vaccine rollout
- 9 Friends of the Byes are helping to to save life on earth starting with a bramble bank
- 10 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
This year Ottery could not defend their recent run of success, with the team from Budleigh Salterton lifting the trophy with a score of plus 13, closely followed by three teams with a score of plus eight, but it was Madeira in the runners-up spot with the greater number of shots.
Our thanks to Redferns Estate Agents in Ottery St Mary who sponsor this event each year, director Lee Maddicks very kindly attended the event and presented the trophy to the winning team after a fine afternoon’s bowling.
Ottery finished the week with a friendly at home to Tiverton West End and, in a closely fought contest, they came out on top by 85 shots to 80 and by four rinks to one.
The best Ottery rink was that of Eric Richardson, Frank Jones, Mo Richards and skip Ray Luscombe, 23-9. For more information on all things Ottery St Mary Bowls Club visit www.otterystmarybowlingclub.com or call Mike Smith on 01404 811195.