Ottery St Mary Petanque Club host another splendid Charity Shield
- Credit: Archant
The first major open tournament of the season in the region is the Charity Shield, hosted annually since 1999 at Ottery St Mary.
Last Sunday, the doubles event attracted a strong field of 20 teams from all over Devon and Cornwall.
After the morning’s group stages, teams progressed to the knockout phase in either the Main or Plate competitions. This followed the lunch break where skill-based games raised further funds.
With all the talk these days of summit meetings, petanque had their own as the final was contested between the presidents of both Devon and Cornwall regions, and their partners. The Devon pair came out on top as Torridge’s Ged and Ann Barton overcame Graeme Kirkham and Sue Williamson from Tregony, 13-3 in the final. The Cornish duo were defending the title from last year.
The Plate final was won by Isca’s Stewart Brown and Joan Dixie, who narrowly beat host club pair Paul Puddicombe and Keith Tizzard 13-12.
You may also want to watch:
Ottery chairman John Thatcher presented the trophies at the end of a long and competitive day, when he also expressed his gratitude to all concerned in raising a highly commendable £510 for Hospiscare - the other winners of the day.
- 1 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 2 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 3 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 4 Ottery Brownie leader set to run London Marathon
- 5 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 6 Double golfing success for the Sidmouth seniors
- 7 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 8 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 9 Plenty of case work picked up on campaign trail, but I'm happy to help
- 10 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford