Ottery St Mary petanque player John Thatcher picks up three awards after a fine season
- Credit: Archant
Honiton Petanque club was the venue recently for the 2018 Devon Region annual general meeting (AGM) and event that was combined with end of season awards, writes Chris Bigmore.
Turnout was very good with over half of all regional members in attendance at Mountbatten Park.
Devon President Ged Barton reflected on his first year in office highlighting the progress made with the regional squad, re-establishing the team in the main competition at the Inter Regional Championships. And a number of new players were given their debuts for the region this year.
All the usual AGM business was conducted along with the election of three new officers; Ann Barton, Chris Bigmore and Ian Ash, who will now serve on the regional committee. It was also decided to review the format and scoring system for the Devon league in 2019.
After reports were completed the regional awards were made.
You may also want to watch:
Ottery St Mary petanque team member John Thatcher featured prominently in the honours, collecting two champion titles and one runner-up medal.
John collected the singles championship with Chudleigh’s Rob Thomas taking home the runners-up trophy.
- 1 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 2 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 3 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 4 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 5 Can you help Ottery become plastic free?
- 6 Fundraising heroine Diana is sitting pretty at 98
- 7 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 8 Hotels are reopening soon - lets hope they can stay that way
- 9 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 10 The return of Covid to the streets of Sidmouth, and what St George did next!
John returned to collect the Triples title, a competition he won playing alongside his wife Rose and club colleague Peter Smith and John’s third visit to the trophy table was to receive the runners-up trophy he and his wife won in the doubles competition, an event won by Plymouth duo Mike Carroll and Mike Newberry.
The Triples plate trophies stayed in East Devon as they were taken home by Honiton trio Charlie O’Reilly, Chris Bigmore and Jenny Lavender while another Honiton player, Ronnie Hutchinson, went home with the singles plate winner’s trophy.