Ottery St Mary petanque players part of Devon success
- Credit: Archant
=The English Pétanque Association’s largest event of the year took place at Hayling Island, writes John Thatcher.
Fourteen members of the Devon Pétanque Region took part in this event where around 600 pétanque players contested three different events, the Championship, the Challenge Tournament and the Junior Regional Championships.
In 2014 Devon won Division Two of the Challenge Tournament and so travelled for the 215 event looking to consolidate their position in Division One.
However, they surpassed that, landing the Division One title at the very first time of asking!
Devon led from the start until the last round of play when Devon and Chiltern were tied on 28 games each. A win in the last game by Franck Depreaux, Thierry Hacq and Rob Thomas of Chudleigh Pétanque Club ensured victory by 29 games to 28.
You may also want to watch:
Ottery St Mary Petanque Clubs Sue Smith managed the Devon team and John Thatcher and Peter Smith played alongside Chudleigh’s Henry Pickett in team two. Rose Thatcher from Ottery St Mary played in team three with Ged Barton and Ann Barton both of U3A Westward Ho!
New players are always welcomed and anyone interested getting involved in Devon Pétanque can visit www.devonpetanque.org.uk to find their nearest club.
- 1 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 2 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 3 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 4 Ottery Brownie leader set to run London Marathon
- 5 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 6 Double golfing success for the Sidmouth seniors
- 7 Plenty of case work picked up on campaign trail, but I'm happy to help
- 8 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 9 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 10 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat