Ottery St Mary petanque players part of Devon success
- Credit: Archant
=The English Pétanque Association’s largest event of the year took place at Hayling Island, writes John Thatcher.
Fourteen members of the Devon Pétanque Region took part in this event where around 600 pétanque players contested three different events, the Championship, the Challenge Tournament and the Junior Regional Championships.
In 2014 Devon won Division Two of the Challenge Tournament and so travelled for the 215 event looking to consolidate their position in Division One.
However, they surpassed that, landing the Division One title at the very first time of asking!
Devon led from the start until the last round of play when Devon and Chiltern were tied on 28 games each. A win in the last game by Franck Depreaux, Thierry Hacq and Rob Thomas of Chudleigh Pétanque Club ensured victory by 29 games to 28.
You may also want to watch:
Ottery St Mary Petanque Clubs Sue Smith managed the Devon team and John Thatcher and Peter Smith played alongside Chudleigh’s Henry Pickett in team two. Rose Thatcher from Ottery St Mary played in team three with Ged Barton and Ann Barton both of U3A Westward Ho!
New players are always welcomed and anyone interested getting involved in Devon Pétanque can visit www.devonpetanque.org.uk to find their nearest club.
- 1 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 2 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 3 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 4 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 5 Fundraising heroine Diana is sitting pretty at 98
- 6 Hotels are reopening soon - lets hope they can stay that way
- 7 Art shop thanks customers who have shown support
- 8 The return of Covid to the streets of Sidmouth, and what St George did next!
- 9 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 10 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients