Ottery St Mary petanque team edged out in Exeter
Ottery St Mary were edged out after a thrilling contest in Exeter, writes Dave West.
The Otters travelled to Isca last Wednesday knowing that they had to win if they were to retain second place in the Devon Petanque League.
However, the Exeter club were successful in the two opening triples so Ottery had to take the three doubles to get the result that they needed.
They proved to be tight games, but Isca took two of the three to deny success to the Ottery St Mary team.
The full match results were: Triples - Stewart, Yvonne and Joan beat John, Rose and Peter S 13-6; Robert Brealey, John Clarke and Janet Clarke beat Sue, Pete M and Derek 13-2. Doubles - John and Rose beat Stewart and Yvonne 13-12, Peter S and Sue beat Robert and Joan 13-5,
You may also want to watch:
John and Janet beat Derek and Peter M 13-9.
This was the last league game for the Otters who are hoping to soon move to a new site in Strawberry Lane with the help of Section 106 money available for sports projects.
- 1 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 2 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 3 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 4 Ottery Brownie leader set to run London Marathon
- 5 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 6 Double golfing success for the Sidmouth seniors
- 7 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 8 Plenty of case work picked up on campaign trail, but I'm happy to help
- 9 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 10 Sidmouth Girls Rugby
In the meantime, a European Cup qualifying match is being arranged against Cornish side, Tregony.
The fixture has to be played before the end of September.