Ottery St Mary Reserves face cup tie with Cranbrook
- Credit: Archant
Ottery 2nds began their Division 8 campaign with an abject 10-0 defeat at home to Bickleigh 2nds.
The Washbrook Meadows side threw their good end of pre-season form out of the window as they were torn apart by superior opposition – who netted after just 45 seconds and did not look back.
Bickleigh, who now top the fledgling table, were 6-0 up at the break.
Changes early in the second half saw Ottery improve, but they still conceded another four goals before the final whistle – many of them fine finishes by a team that will surely be amongst the better sides in the section this season.
Reserve team boss Dave Fairweather said: “It was horrible! I’ll put it down to being ‘one of those days’. Sadly it seemed as it four or five of the team were still in pre-season mode. We had a good build-up – possibly too good – for one or two perhaps went into the first competitive outing thinking they could stroll around the pitch to get a result! Hopefully they now appreciate that you have to earn the right to win football matches and, in most cases, that involves a measure of hard work!”
You may also want to watch:
This Saturday the Otters second string are in cup action when they make the short trip to Broadclyst to take on newboys Cranbrook.
Like the Otters Cranbrook began their season last weekend when they shared eight goals with Otterton, scoring twice in the last five minutes to secure a point in their first league game since forming as a club in the summer.
- 1 First time in a year for Sidmouth's rugby youngsters
- 2 Now is the time to shop locally says Sidmouth artist
- 3 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 4 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 5 Public help needed to find wild violets around East Devon
- 6 Sidmouth electric car club survey launched
- 7 Talking Newspapers set to restart service
- 8 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 9 A tussle for the ages at Ottery Bowls
- 10 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
Fairweather says: “We’ll see what happens at training before we select an eleven for the cup tie with Cranbrook.”