Ottery St Mary Short Mat Bowls Club offering free taster sessions in September
- Credit: Archant
The summer holidays are over and the visitors have gone home, writes Jenny Uren.
Now is the time to consider what to do during the coming winter months.
Short Mat Bowls is a game of bowls, played indoors so there is no worry about the weather conditions.
As suggested in the title, it is played on a mat about the length of a badminton court, where you bowl to get as close as possible to the small yellow ‘jack’ at the far end, whilst trying to avoid a small piece of wood in the middle of the mat!
However, the bowls have a bias which makes it do-able. It is fun, and a cup of tea and biscuits are thrown in.
You may also want to watch:
It is an opportunity to socialise and meet people whilst getting exercise and perfecting your skills. It is suitable for all ages.
We meet from 7pm to 10pm on Monday evenings, and on Wednesday mornings from 9.45am to noon.
- 1 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 2 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 3 Photographic competition challenges snappers to spring into action
- 4 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 5 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 6 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 7 Initial details revealed for this year's week-long Folk Festival
- 8 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 9 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 10 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
We sometimes have friendly games with other clubs, and also play league matches for those who are interested.
With a joining fee of just £9 per annum, and £2 whenever you play, it is affordable.
To see whether you like it, you can have two free sessions.
We have spare bowls that can be borrowed, and we do ask that you wear clean flat soled shoes to protect the mats.
The open sessions are running on two Monday’s and two Wednesday’s in September .
The Monday sessions are on September 18 and 25 with a 7pm start and the Wednesday sessions are during the day with the September 20 and 27 sessions starting at 9.45am.
A warm welcome is assured for all attending and, for those who might need more information call 01404 812124 or 814836.