Ottery St Mary third string boosted by Kitzinger ton
- Credit: Archant
Richard Kitzinger’s first Devon League century for many a long season last weekend proved the catalyst for Ottery St Mary 3rd XI to claim another terrific victory as they comfortably saw off visitors, Kenn, writes Ian Townsend.
After the Otters lost three early wickets, well supported by a number of teenage partners, Kitzinger blasted a ton from just 71 deliveries and with hard hitting late contributions from skipper, John Tierney and youngster, Sam Brook, the home side posted a near 300-run total which never looked in danger.
After the early loss of Jack Ellison (0), bowled by Tom Mean, polar opposites in age terms, the veteran Barry Flicker (26) and teenager Henry Mutter (33), posted important scores. Albert Southall-Brown (0) became Mean’s third victim (3-37) but Kitzinger and Luke Tierney (18) added a rapid 81 before the latter was caught off Ian Hutchings. Kitzinger reached 50 from 44 balls and, as he was joined by John Tierney in another quick fire partnership, he raced to 100 from just 27 further deliveries (16 fours, one six) before being stumped off Hutchings. Despite three late wickets for Jayesh Elson (3-50), Tierney harvested 46 from just 22 balls and Brook weighed in with 26 not out from 17 as the Otters closed on 298-9.
The Kenn reply began disastrously as they plunged to 12-3, Hutchings (6) departing to a John Tierney slip catch off Harry McNamara-Campbell and Brook castling both Kevin Hughes (3) and Simon Snell (0). After Andy Philpott and the hard hitting Dan Wrioe - 58 from 29 balls with ten fours and a six – posted a century stand in just 11 overs, the removal of the latter via a McNamara-Campbell catch off Southall-Brown saw the innings lose momentum. Brook (3-36) completed a fine afternoon’s work by returning to bowl Philpott (71) and as the visitors lost their last five wickets for 32 runs, they declined to 209 all out and an 89-run defeat.
Ottery St Mary 3rd XI 298-9 (R Kitzinger 100, J Tierney 46, F Hartley 49, H Mutter 33, S Brook 26*, B Flicker 26, T Mean 3-37, J Elson 3-50, I Hutchings 2-62) Kenn 209 (A Philpott 71, D Wrioe 58, S Brook 3-36, A Southall-Brown 2-29, H McNamara-Campbell 2-43). Ottery St Mary (20pts) bt Kenn (9pts) by 89 runs.
You may also want to watch:
Otters Man of the Match – Richard Kitzinger
- 1 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 2 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 3 Can you help Ottery become plastic free?
- 4 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 5 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 6 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 7 Build Back Fairer by supporting Fairtrade in Sidmouth
- 8 Hotels are reopening soon - lets hope they can stay that way
- 9 The return of Covid to the streets of Sidmouth, and what St George did next!
- 10 Fundraising heroine Diana is sitting pretty at 98