Ottery St Mary Under-10s win derby thriller against West Hill
- Credit: Archant
Ottery St Mary Under-10s emerged victorious from their derby meeting with West Hill in an Exeter and District Youth League match.
The match was entertaining from first whistle to last and certainly provided some warmth to a decent turnout on an icily cold morning!
Playing on a smaller than usual pitch did not suit the free-flowing style that the young Otters like to adopt, but they were quick to adapt their game and began to stamp their authority on proceedings with some superb thinking and intelligent passing which left their opponents chasing the ball for most of the game.
Despite enjoying a majority of the possession and putting their opponents under huge pressure, the Otters found it hard to find the net with the small pitch cramping their style and some wayward shooting and half-time arrived with the game still seeking its first goal.
The second half saw more of the same with Ottery the dominant force, but a combination of more wayward shooting and some solid defending held them at bat until, with five minutes remaining, Otters striker Freddie Clarke took advantage of a loose ball and rifled it home with a stunning left foot strike.
You may also want to watch:
The goal was no more than the Otters deserved and they went on to see the game out in a degree of comfort.
This Saturday (November 28), weather permitting, the young Otters host a couple of teams from Tiverton-based Twyford Spartans.
- 1 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 2 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 3 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 4 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 5 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 6 Hopes high that half marathon will be an annual event
- 7 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 8 Demand for properties in Sidmouth is high as South West becomes more desirable
- 9 Initial details revealed for this year's week-long Folk Festival
- 10 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution