Ottery St Mary Under-11s triumph at Heavitree
- Credit: Archant
The Ottery St Mary Under-11s travelled to Heavitree to begin their Exeter and District League season, writes Ross Cooper.
It was the young Otters first experience of a much bigger playing area, but they rose to the occasion and took early control, and went on to record a 6-1 victory.
Ottery made a bright start, pinning the Heavies back deep in their own half.
There were a number of chances to score, but the spirited Heavitree defence and some excellent goal keeping kept Ottery at bay before Noah Western rifled a shot in from distance to give the Otters the lead.
Tom Perry, who worked up and down the left wing all morning, found the back of the home net only for an off-side decision to rule it out before a sublime Ed Cooper pass released Albie Upson and he passed the ball into the net to send Ottery into the interval with a two goal advantage.
You may also want to watch:
The Otters began the second half in similar fashion and their enterprise was rewarded with a second goal from Upson and one from Cooper.
It was soon 5-0 courtesy of a defenders deflection that steered a Cooper shot into the net.
- 1 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 2 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 3 Plans for restart of operations for Sidmouth Voluntary Services
- 4 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 5 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 6 Sidmouth Girls Rugby
- 7 College launches two new fundraising appeals
- 8 Young gardeners enjoy seeing the early fruits of their labour
- 9 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 10 High Street beckons for hobbyists emerging from lockdown
Joe Wilkinson went close to making it six with a header before the home side scored a late consolation.