Ottery St Mary welcome Westlecot bowlers on their 20th visit to the club
- Credit: Archant
Bank holiday Monday saw Ottery St Mary welcome a second touring side of the season.
This particular visit was rather special as it concerned Westlecot Bowling Club from Swindon, Wiltshire, who have been coming to the cub each year for twenty years!
To mark the occasion a presentation was made by both teams after the match.
Ottery club chairman Gerry Beighton presented Westlecot with a beautifully engraved vase, whilst one of Westlecots’ senior members, Reg Henery, reciprocated with a wonderful picture of Westlecots’ club house and green, to be proudly displayed in the new bar area.
The match was full of excellent bowling, but, once the final wood was delivered it was the visiting team celebrating success thanks to a 111-94 score line.
You may also want to watch:
The visitors won on three of the rinks, Ottery claimed victory on two and one was drawn.
On the home front the Ottery St Mary Over-60s men’s triples teams started their league matches with the C team losing at Tiverton West End on both rinks.
- 1 Stalker jailed and banned from Ottery St Mary
- 2 Sidmouth vaccinations are off to a good start
- 3 'Big Lie' politics go back further than Donald Trump - Paul Arnott
- 4 Sid Valley Practice appeals for help during vaccine rollout
- 5 Business owners are asking 'has the Government done enough to help?'
- 6 Peninsula League season could be over
- 7 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
- 8 Government scraps proposals to increase house building quota in East Devon
- 9 Popular Sidmouth swimathon set to return this year
- 10 How the Beeching Report signalled the end of the line for many local railways
The B team fared slightly better as they drew on one rink, but lost on the other.
However, the A team got off to a fine start at Feniton taking maximum points with wins on both rinks.
The Ladies Over-50s Triple League also got underway with a home fixture against Starcross.
Ottery won on one rink and lost on other, but claimed the overall victory.
last, but certainly not least, Ottery travelled to Budleigh Salterton where they had a fine victory winning on both rinks.