Ottery St Mary welcome Westlecot bowlers on their 20th visit to the club
- Credit: Archant
Bank holiday Monday saw Ottery St Mary welcome a second touring side of the season.
This particular visit was rather special as it concerned Westlecot Bowling Club from Swindon, Wiltshire, who have been coming to the cub each year for twenty years!
To mark the occasion a presentation was made by both teams after the match.
Ottery club chairman Gerry Beighton presented Westlecot with a beautifully engraved vase, whilst one of Westlecots’ senior members, Reg Henery, reciprocated with a wonderful picture of Westlecots’ club house and green, to be proudly displayed in the new bar area.
The match was full of excellent bowling, but, once the final wood was delivered it was the visiting team celebrating success thanks to a 111-94 score line.
You may also want to watch:
The visitors won on three of the rinks, Ottery claimed victory on two and one was drawn.
On the home front the Ottery St Mary Over-60s men’s triples teams started their league matches with the C team losing at Tiverton West End on both rinks.
- 1 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 2 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 3 Can you help Ottery become plastic free?
- 4 Photographic competition challenges snappers to spring into action
- 5 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 6 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 7 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 8 Build Back Fairer by supporting Fairtrade in Sidmouth
- 9 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 10 Fundraising heroine Diana is sitting pretty at 98
The B team fared slightly better as they drew on one rink, but lost on the other.
However, the A team got off to a fine start at Feniton taking maximum points with wins on both rinks.
The Ladies Over-50s Triple League also got underway with a home fixture against Starcross.
Ottery won on one rink and lost on other, but claimed the overall victory.
last, but certainly not least, Ottery travelled to Budleigh Salterton where they had a fine victory winning on both rinks.