Ottery St Marys men’s A team off to winning start
- Credit: Archant
OTTERY St Mary Men’s A team got off to a winning start in the O60s’ league with a win at Feniton.
Ottery took all eight points, winning on both rinks. The best performing rink with a 19-14 win was that of John Ward, Peter Jones and skip Mike Smith
The B team entertained Chagford at home. They won on one rink, but lost overall by just four shots.
Ottery ladies had a fine start in the O50s’ triples league with a +25 shot difference win on both rinks at Starcross. The best rink were Dot Luff, Joan Dalton and skip Mollie Parker (23-9).
Ottery ladies shared the rinks in a home game against Budleigh Salterton, but narrowly lost the match by just two shots. Fenella Griggs. Sharon Kenny and skip Maureen Phillips were the winning rink by 19-11.
You may also want to watch:
The week ended with a friendly fixture away to Honiton, where a strong home team won on four rinks and Ottery on two.
Maggie Beighton, Margaret Hunt, David Rose and skip Mollie Parker had a fine 30-18 win.
- 1 Tipton St John children's author wins national award for pioneering work
- 2 Stalker jailed and banned from Ottery St Mary
- 3 'I feel that front line workers should be vaccinated as soon as possible'
- 4 Sidmouth vaccinations are off to a good start
- 5 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
- 6 Sid Valley Practice appeals for help during vaccine rollout
- 7 Government scraps proposals to increase house building quota in East Devon
- 8 How the Beeching Report signalled the end of the line for many local railways
- 9 Tar Barrel Night paintings will help keep the event rolling
- 10 'We are passionate about involving young people in planning'
The first touring side of the season dropped in at Ottery on Sunday when West Midlands Police brought five mixed rinks.
Ottery proved too strong for the tourists, winning on three and drawing the other two.
Top performers were Tony Bushell, Mick Cissel, Joan Saunders and skip Mike Smith, who won 34-11.
Westlecot were the visitors the following day when, Ottery were victorious again, winning overall 100-88.
The triples of Kevin Vernon, Sharon Kenny and skip George Kille and Chris Hawke, Joan Saunders and skip Peter Jones both won by 14 shots.
Ottery are hosting their annual open evening tonight from 6pm.
Prospective new members are invited to look around and have a go. Bring flat shoes or trainers.
Refreshments will be provided. Ring Mike Smith on (01404) 811195 for more details.