Ottery team, lifts the Redferns Trophy
- Credit: Archant
Barbourne Bowling Club from the Worcester area were the latest touring side to visit Ottery, writes Michael Smith.
The visitors were in fine form and secured a 104-74 victory. The sole Ottery winning rink was that of Freda Hunt, Dave Rastall, Gail Hawke and skip Margaret Bright (24-9). In the men’s Over-60s Triples League the B team went down on both rinks at Uffculme. However, the C team did slightly better with Graham White, Alan Lascelles and skip Ray Luscombe winning 23-16, but losing the match overall.
The A team continue to hold on to second spot in Division Three after banking all eight points from a visit to Culm Vale C.
Terry House, Brian Baker and skip John Pethick had a terrific 25-11 win.
In a friendly fixture at home to Budleigh, the visitors were not so friendly, dishing out a 107-67 defeat on the home side!
You may also want to watch:
The only Ottery winning rink was Carol Bennett, Brian Braund and skip Terry House (17-16).
The week ended with Ottery hosting the annual Redfern Trophy event, with six invited teams playing a round-robin format against six Ottery teams.
- 1 First time in a year for Sidmouth's rugby youngsters
- 2 Now is the time to shop locally says Sidmouth artist
- 3 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 4 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 5 Public help needed to find wild violets around East Devon
- 6 Sidmouth electric car club survey launched
- 7 Talking Newspapers set to restart service
- 8 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 9 A tussle for the ages at Ottery Bowls
- 10 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
This year Ottery proved too strong for the opposition with home teams taking the honours!
One of the Ottery sides took the runners-up spot whilst the team of Chris Hawke, Sharon Kenny, Peter Jones and skip Shirley Fewtrell, with a plus 20 shot difference, secured the splendid trophy.
To start off August, Ottery welcomed their penultimate touring side to the club, Stratford Upon Avon were the visitors and it was they who emerged winners by three rinks to one.
The season is rapidly drawing to a close, but there is still time for newcomers to the sport to come down on a Friday Club Night from 6pm.
All that is needed is flat shoes or trainers for folk to be able to try their hand at the sport. All equipment and coaching will be provided. Contact Mike Smith on 01404 811195 for more information.